Parole vs The First Amendment

Brian,

Phil urine tested me today. Below is a letter I sent to him.

It seems I have no choice now but to stop smoking marijuana. 

Do you believe in the mission of your career? To rehabilitate criminals back into society? I am doing very well. I have never worked so hard on my life and I am finally getting traction!

Then I checked in today.

I thought we had an understanding. And I thought you passed that understanding on to your subordinate. I thought you were, while not my friend, someone who understood me and was willing to work with me for the betterment of my future.

I have much, less, ambition, to succeed when I do not have marijuana. WV Parole is now officially fucking up my life. You didn't make the rules. But the discretion you showed me, Phil Poling did not. I requested to be your parolee exactly for this reason.

I am angry. This is unjust. And if I am not going to be allowed to smoke I expect to be allowed to yell about it to everyone who will listen until I'm off the ridiculous bullshit I don't deserve. I have been punished enough for doing almost nothing in the first place.

I am saying "do not get angry, and do not let Phil get angry, about what I say about this entire business." You told me you respect my right to voice my opinions. Please remember that, because if I am as effective as I say I am, eventually you're going to feel some amps from my journalistic efforts against WV Parole.

Cheers for Anything You Can Do,

-Alexander Weinstein





---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Alex Weinstein <baberuth1920@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Sep 1, 2021, 13:53
Subject: Parole vs The First Amendment
To: phillip.j.poling@wv.gov <phillip.j.poling@wv.gov>
Cc: <dyerlawof@aol.com>


Dear Mr. Poling, Phil,

I would like to keep our business relationship respectful. You are doing your job.

However what happened to me today I want to write and talk about as part of my running for Congress. Specifically I want to criticize the rules of WV parole.

Will you have a problem with this? I don't want to give you any reason to be less than cordial l, as you were today. But you might not appreciate the way I characterize the situation (if you choose to read or listen to my commentary).

Please advise.

-Alexander Weinstein

Comments